Why is SBIRT
- Unhealthy and unsafe alcohol and drug use are major preventable public health problems resulting in more than 100,000 deaths each year.
- Hazardous alcohol and substance use increase risk for:
- Criminal justice involvement
- Social problems
- Mental health consequences (ex: anxiety, depression)
- Increased absences and accidents in the workplace
- Effects of unhealthy and unsafe alcohol and drug use have far-reaching implications for the individual, family, workplace, community, and the healthcare system.
- Unhealthy use can complicate chronic conditions like diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular diseases or mental health disorders.
- Early intervention saves lives and supports overall wellness.